We all know that social media strategies are an important to our digital strategies. But when it comes to measuring the impact of social media upon our campaigns and brands many organisations are at a loss. Although social media monitoring is quite difficult, it is not impossible. There are various free tools you can use such as Google Alerts and Tweet Deck etc. however paid for tools usually offer greater depth and insights. In Ireland there are a few companies offering social monitoring tools including Kantor Monitoring and O’Leary Analytics.
In late 2010, Disney released Tron Legacy in Irish cinemas and at the time were just beginning to commence their social media activities in Ireland and wanted to gauge where they were in order to form a baseline for future strategies. Disney employed O’Leary Analytics to analyse its social media campaign for Tron between October 17th 2010 and January 12th 2011. O’Leary analysed Blogs, Twitter, Message Boards, Wiki and Youtube.
They analysed the data using the following parameters:
Sentiment: Calculated using an algorithm of positive and negative keywords, and their proximity to the keyword “Tron Legacy” in the content.
Author Popularity: Calculated using a variety of parameters including, but not limited to: Total number of followers / Total number of posts/tweets / Length of time registered / etc
Some of the results are highlighted in the graphs below:
They key findings of the report were:
- Over 1,900 comments / tweets / blogs / posts were published.
- Twitter was the main arena for Tron Legacy conversations.
- Boards.ie was the single biggest website for Tron conversations online in Ireland.
- Key influencers – including high profile twitter accounts – commented on the film.
- The premier, good reviews, visual effects and the soundtrack led to positive sentiment online.
- Poor reviews in media / social media led to negative sentiment online.
- Positive / Negative ratio is (a staggering) 17:1